- Police Department
- Dog Regulations and Rules
Dog Regulations and Rules
The City of Andover’s Regulations and Rules regarding Dogs
Article 3. General Dogs:
2-301. License Required:
“It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep or harbor any dog over six (6) months of age within the corporate limits of the City of Andover without first having obtained a license there.”
“It shall be the duty of the owner, keeper or harborer of any dog over six (6) months of age to register the same with the Police Department.”
Note: Dog license and registrations are available 24-7 at the Andover Police Department (909 N. Andover Rd.) or at participating veterinarians in Andover. To obtain a dog registration/license, you will need:
1) your name and address, along with the dog(s) name, breed and gender.
2) Proof of rabies vaccination with expiration date (License is valid for the duration of the rabies vaccination).
3) $15 cash or check ($10 with proof from a licensed veterinarian that the dog has been spayed or neutered).
4) You may also provide a microchip number and/or picture to help in the identification of your dog should it be needed.
Andover Dog Licenses may also be obtained at any of the below partnering veterinary clinics: (a small convenience fee may apply)
Kutter Pet Care Center
1607 W. Central Ave
Andover, KS 67002
VCA Andover Animal Hospital and Pet Resort
517 W. Central Ave
Andover, KS 67002
Countryside Pet Clinic & Resort
1936 N. Andover Rd.
Andover, KS 67002
Hodes Veterinary Health Center
1060 N. Rose Hill Rd.
Rose Hill, KS 67133
Rose Hill Veterinary Clinic
110 North Rose Hill Road
Rose Hill, KS 67133
Prairie Station Veterinary Clinic
7818 SW Old Hwy 254
Towanda, KS 67144
2-304. Tag and Collar:
“Upon registration, the Police Department shall issue to the owner a license certificate and metallic tag for each dog so licensed. The license tag shall have stamped thereon the year(s) for which the same is issued and the license number of such dog. Each owner shall be required to provide each dog with a collar to which the license tag must be affixed and shall be responsible that the tag and collar are worn by such dog.”
Note: Replacements for lost or destroyed dog tags may be purchased from the Police Department at a cost of $1.00.
2-305. Vaccination Required:
“Any person making application for a license for a dog shall be required to exhibit to the Police Department at the time of making such application a certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian showing that such dog has been vaccinated or inoculated with a recognized anti-rabies vaccine and showing that the inoculation so administered to such dog will be effective for the entire period of time for which such license is issued.”
Note: City of Andover Dog Registrations/Licenses are valid for the duration of the rabies vaccination.
2-401. Dogs at Large Prohibited:
“It shall be unlawful for any person who shall own, keep or harbor any dog, whether licensed or unlicensed, to permit the same to run at large within the City; provided that any dog within the city not confined to a vehicle or automobile or to the lead of its master or owner, or kept on the premises of its master or owner shall be considered, for the purpose of this chapter to be running at large.
Note: Dogs are not allowed to run at large inside the City limits of Andover, and must be on a leash whenever off of their property and not inside of a vehicle.
2-409. Disturbances by Pets:
“It shall be unlawful for any person within the City of Andover, Kansas, to keep, own, or harbor any pet of whatsoever kind, which barks, whines, howls, or which causes other disturbing noises in a continuous or unreasonable fashion.”
2-508. Animal Bite Violations:
No person who owns, possesses, harbors or exercises control over any animal shall:
- Permit or allow the animal to attack or bite any person or domestic animal not on the premises of such owner, keeper or harborer;
- Permit or allow the animal to attack or bite any person or domestic animal upon the premises of the residence of such owner, keeper or harborer upon the premises of any business establishment not then open to the public. It is an affirmative defense to this paragraph if such premises are previously posted at each entrance with a prominent and conspicuous sign warning all persons of the animal, and the animal is confined in a proper enclosure. It is also an affirmative defense to this paragraph that the attack or bite by the animal was necessary to prevent or apprehend a person engaged in committing an act of violence, robbery, theft or other crime upon the property;
- Permit or allow the animal to attack or bite any person or animal upon the premises of any business establishment that is open to the public. It is an affirmative defense to this paragraph that the attack or bite by the animal was necessary to prevent or apprehend a person engaged in committing an act of violence, robbery, theft or other crime upon the property.
Andover Dog Park Rules:
- The City of Andover assumes no liability for dogs or dog owners – use at your own risk.
- Dog Owners are responsible for the behavior of their dog(s) at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed while entering and exiting the dog park.
- Dog owners are responsible for removing their dog’s waste immediately.
- Aggressive dogs must be removed immediately.
- Dogs should be under voice control.
- Dogs in heat, sick dogs, aggressive dogs, and puppies under 4 months of age are prohibited.
- Glass containers are prohibited in dog park area.
- The Andover Dog Parks are limited to use only by dogs licensed/registered with the City of Andover.
- All dogs must wear a collar with registration and rabies tags when using the park.