◄ Back
April 30, 2022 9:45 PM

Frequently Asked Questions


If I need help or have been impacted, where can I go?
If you are needing assistance and have not been in contact with the United Way of the Plains, you can do so by calling 2-1-1. More information can be found at

All resources in Andover are currently closed (including the Andover Community Center and Andover Methodist Church.)

What is the update on Case Management?
The Long-Term Recovery Committee is working closely with the United Way of the Plains when it comes to case management. The first awards are slated to be distributed in mid-August.

What is the Long-Term Recovery Committee?
The long-term recovery committee will be responsible for strengthening disaster relief/recovery coordination between the City of Andover and Butler and Sedgwick Counties by sharing information, simplifying resident access to resources, and resolving cases with unmet needs.

The committee consists of members from the community including: Keri Korthals (Butler County Emergency Management), Michael “Homer” Henry (Andover Councilman), Julie Stimson (Sedgwick County Emergency Management), Allison Grace (Andover State Bank), Dave Mercer (Vornado), Jeff Masterson (Butler County Commissioner), Tina Hamm (Capitol Federal), Mark Stump (United Way), Marlou Wegener (Blue Cross, Blue Shield Foundation), Jennifer McCausland (City of Andover), Bobby Johnson (Gypsum Township Trustee), and James Gillespie (Andover Baptist Church and Andover Police Chaplin).

The long-term recovery committee met for the first time on Wednesday, June 8 and continues to meet biweekly.

If I want to donate a physical item, where can I take it?
Clothes, shoes, towels, houseware, and blankets can be taken to ANY Goodwill. We have an agreement with Goodwill, and they will provide people with vouchers to shop for those items if they need them.
• Food:
o Please call the Kansas Food Bank (316-265-3663) or the Andover Food Bank (316-733-1644) to describe your donation and arrange to deliver.
• Basic needs supplies and hygiene items:
o Items are not currently needed at this time due to generous donations from area agencies and companies.
o Bottled water, non-perishable food items, and trash bags will be accepted at the Andover Community Center. United Way is organizing these items for residents to stop by and have.

You can also call 211 to inform us with what you have to offer the community.

Where can I donate money?
Visit website to donate online.
The following methods can also be used:
• Text “teamwork” (one word, no spaces) to 41444 to give on the go from your phone.
• Mail a check, payable to United Way of the Plains with “Disaster Relief Fund” in the memo, to 245 N. Water St., Wichita, KS 67202.
• Corporate donations can be arranged with Anne Chandler, Vice President of Philanthropy. Contact her at or (316) 267-1321 ext. 4213.

For funds dedicated to the Prairie Creek School, the Andover Foundation has set up a link:

Where can debris, tree limbs, branches, and grass clippings be taken?
Grass Clippings and Leaves
Andover residents can bring residential yard waste (Grass clippings, ornamental grass, and garden debris ONLY), dawn to dusk, to Andover Central Park to the yard waste collection area which is a half mile south of City Hall on the east side of Bush Parkway.
The Butler County Landfill is available for debris.

The Butler County Landfill will waive fees for debris cleanup related to the tornado/storm event.
Hours of Operation:
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday
8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday
Closed – Sunday

2963 SW 40th St, El Dorado, KS 67042

Branches and Limbs
Andover Citizens can bring branches and limbs to the Andover Wastewater Treatment Plant, located at 2115 E. Harry St.
• To get to the Wastewater facility, head south on Andover Road to Harry Street.
• Go left (east) approximately 1.3 miles.
• Turn right (south) and go approximately 0.6 miles. Drop off times are:

October Through April - Winter Months
Daily: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.

May Through September - Summer Months
Daily: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Call (316) 733-2621 for more information.

All of the above listed services are intended for Andover residents only. No commercial yard waste accepted.

What should I do if I’ve been impacted and have Wichita Water?
Andover residents who utilize City of Wichita water utilities and have property that has to be demolished due to the tornado should call (316) 265-1300 to arrange for the City of Wichita Public Works and Utilities to shut off and remove their water meter. This will ensure no water loss occurs and no further billing takes place at that location.

What about packages trying to be delivered to impacted areas?
The City has made contact with the Andover Post Office, Fed Ex, UPS, and Amazon to develop a plan for all residents in the affected areas to receive their mail/packages.
• The Andover Post Office will be holding all undeliverable mail/packages until the resident picks up or provides forwarding info.
• Starting Friday, May 6, FED EX will have all deliveries that were unable to be made, due to storm damage, delivered to Andover Police Department at 909 N. Andover Rd. Residents will need some type of identifying information to pick up their packages.
• UPS packages that cannot be delivered today, Thursday, May 5 will be sent to their access point on Friday, May 6 at Woodward Mercantile 1313 E. HWY 54 (located just east of the YMCA).
• We are still waiting on guidance from Amazon.
• Folks can take care of this on their own by calling the carrier when they get notice a package it trying to be delivered. At that time they should contact their carrier if they want it to go somewhere other than the above mentioned locations.

What if I lost something or I found something that might be someone else’s?
As clean up continues throughout the city, displaced momentous items are being found and not claimed by the owners. The Andover Police Department has developed a collection system for small or medium sized momentous items from the April 29, 2022 Andover Tornado. Collection site is located at The Andover Police Department (909 N. Andover Rd.).

Once you arrive in the parking lot of the Police Department, call the non-emergency line (316) 733-5177 ext. 0 and request for an Officer to meet you for found momentous items from Friday night’s tornado. The Officer will ask you your name, phone number and location where you found the items.

Found animals will not be accepted and will need to be taken to Countryside Pet Clinic.

I want to help, where can I go?
The City currently does not have any planned work days. Please continue to check our social media pages at for updates.

What if I need a new birth certificate, marriage license, driver’s license?
More information can be found online at:

What are City Hours?
• Normal hours - 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
• Library hours - normal business hours
• Central Park is now open for normal activity.
• The ACC is now open for normal activity.

What’s happening with Parks and Recreation programs and practices?
All City Programs are on as regularly scheduled.

What is happening to the lodge in Central Park?
All reservations for the lodge have been contacted for refunds. The lodge is not currently available to rent.

The first kick off meeting with LK Architecture and Professional Engineering Consultants (PEC) took place in mid-July to discuss the future for the Lodge in Central Park. City staff look forward to engaging the community in ideas to see what is the best fit for the future needs. The current Lodge is expected to be demoed this month and the new facility is expected to be open later in 2023.

I am feeling overwhelmed, who can I call just to talk?
You can call South Central Mental Health Crisis Line at 855-773-6686 any time and ask for “Crisis Support.”

Did the City receive any support from FEMA?
While FEMA is very visible in large-scale disasters across the country, there are also many disasters that occur each year that never qualify for their help. In each disaster, there are thresholds that must be met before the governor can request a disaster declaration from the federal government. Those thresholds look at the number of homes impacted, and also the amount of uninsured loss. If a high percentage of impacted residents have good insurance coverage, then those thresholds aren’t met and FEMA assistance is not possible.
The state of Kansas has reviewed our damage numbers and found that the April 29 tornado will not meet the levels required for the governor to request Individual Assistance through FEMA.
While we continue to look for other ways to bring help into the area, the best pathway to support the victims of this tornado is through financial donations to the United Way.

Where can I go for the latest updates?
Please follow our social media page, City of Andover, KS

How do I get a “Stand with Andover” sign or t-shirt for my business or yard?
Yard signs are no longer available. However, there are still “Stand with Andover” t-shirts available at City Hall during normal business hours. There will also be stickers available to pick up at City Hall starting in mid-August.

Facebook Twitter Email